The idea was to stack the washer and dryer on one side of the closet and install cabinetry on the other half in order to make workspace and extra storage.
The stacking kit finally came in and the men came to stack the set yesterday. But the drip pan was too small to move the new washer over so the door to the closet could open so we bought a new drip pan. And removed the old one and painted the closet. All before the men came yesterday with just Jay and me doing all of the appliance moving.
We went to Lowe's and bought the cabinets we wanted--one 36" base and a 36"wall unit. The guys came and stacked the washer and dryer. Which, as a unit, was deeper than the individual pieces because of how the stacking kit works. Which made the drip pan too far away from the wall for the hole in the pan to actually be OVER the drain pipe in the floor.
So we spent some time trying to figure out how to jerry-rig a drip pan alternative. Then we slid the new cabinet into place and tried to figure out how to create an appropriate top for it that didn't cover the slightly low electrical outlet.
Honestly, we spent all of Saturday, 3 trips to Lowe's, and a lot of our mental capacity trying to figure out how to make this work in our space. Although everything technically FIT, it just didn't look right.
So we unstacked the set ourselves, heaved the cabinets back down the stairs, and returned them to the store. After we dug the receipt out of the outside dumpster in the rain.
The result is that we have a laundry closet that looks a lot like it did last week and we bought a new king sized mattress just so we could cross something off of our to-do list. It doesn't really make sense, but I am excited about the bed.
Post a Comment